A nationally funded research project Disability and the Performing Arts in Australia: Beyond the Social Model will be hosting quality facilitated workshops for artists with disability.
The workshop series is open to artists from across the performing arts, including dance, theatre, music, experimental arts, multimedia producers, film makers and writers. As this is in part a research project, participants will be asked if researchers have permissions to document the process.
What are the workshops for?
- To provide an opportunity for artists to share creative perspectives in a safe and inclusive environment.
- Encourage artists to build collaborations and networks with each other, and the arts industries.
- Help develop the disability and arts sector.
- Research access and inclusion ideas for broader arts industries.
Facilitated by: Kath Duncan and Madeleine Little
When: Sunday 17th March – Thursday 21st March
Time: 12 noon – 5pm each day
Venue: TBC (Central Brisbane)
Facilitated by: James Cunningham and Suzon Fuks
When: Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th March
Time: 12 noon – 4pm both days
Venue: Venue: Rehearsal Room, Judith Wright Centre, 420 Brunswick Street (cnr Berwick St), Fortitude Valley
Cost: Free for successful applicants. To participate, apply HERE.
What to expect from the workshops?
Workshops will include movement, music, voice work, discussions and improvisation. Workshops will include working individually and in groups.
How our research project outcomes can benefit artists:
- Generate further awareness and documentation of disability and the arts on a national scale.
- Develop a better understanding of funding, sustainability and what drives an artist to make work.
- Encourage participants to share their own goals to help spark new work, or training desires and collaborations.
Ethical permissions and feedback for all workshops
We obtain ethical permission for participation, collaboration, documentation and recording of the proceedings in a number of ways following our detailed ethical permissions protocol. We invite feedback in a number of media from participants. More information: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The Disability and the Performing Arts in Australia: Beyond the Social Model. Team (aka The Last Avant Garde) are: Kath Duncan (chair), Sarah Austin (RA), Madeleine Little (RA), Eddie Paterson (Admin), Caroline Bowditch, Veronica Pardo, Gerard Goggin, Gaelle Mellis, Katie Ellis, Bree Hadley, Lachlan MacDowall. More about the research project https://www.artsaccess.com.au/the-last-avant-garde-research/